Monday 20 May 2013

It had to start somewhere... part 2...




Hi Cake lovers!


Following on from my last post, you will know that I started my passion for cake decorating with cup cakes. This was where I learnt many different techniques that are easily transferable to decorate larger cakes. Obviously as cupcakes are smaller you will actually find that you perfect the techniques quite quickly as it is all about practice, and the great thing about buttercream decoration is that if it goes wrong just scrap it off and try again!

The most simple but yet effective cupcake decoration is the rose swirl, completely done using buttercream and can easily be decorating using a theme such as butterflies or hearts made from sugar flower paste.

 
Simple rose swirl with a sugar butterfly, wings dipped in glitter.
 
 
The rose swirl is very easy to do once you get the hang of it. I use the Wilton 1M star tip nozzle below.
 
You can use any star tip but I find this is the perfect size for the swirl.
 
Starting at the centre of the cupcake, pipe in a circular motion toward the outside. You will see that where you finish will not be perfect hence the sugar decorations. You can stick anything on there and is ideal for a themed wedding/party.
 

 
The rose swirl used on a wedding cake topper I made, illustrates how the techniques can be used on larger cakes and are very effective.


 
Not a great photo, but this is a mini cup cake with the rose swirl and sugar flower I made, I love this colour combination!
 
I will put up some step by step photos in a post later this week and also show you how to make the sugar butterflies and flowers etc that you can use to stick onto your cupcakes. These are great to make and keep as you can keep them in a container for weeks, so I tend to make many in one go and then I have them to hand whenever I need them.  
 
Until my next post, happy decorating!

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment