Tuesday 4 June 2013

My baking weekend with Peppa Pig

 Hello Cakey lovers!

Sorry it has been a while, I will get round to putting up some cupcake decorating techniques on here in the next few days. I have had a very busy baking weekend, a number one peppa pig cake for a gorgeous little girls birthday and a first holy communion cake for an equally gorgeous young lady. I used the opportunity to try out my new toy, Cake Lace and it is an amazing (slightly expensive) piece of equipment.



First off, my peppa pig baking, I rarely use moulded tins to create cakes, I prefer to carve and lets be honest if I had to buy every single shape I have made I would be even more skint than I am now! I have made many number one cakes, especially as Miya is now 2 and all her friends have gone through that age, that has meant lots of cakes for me to make!


I baked a big square cake and then cut it once cooled into various shapes to create the number one. This is a three layer cake as you should never put jam and buttercream in the same layer (if you do the layers won't stick and it will be hard to get an even cake) and I like to have a bit of sweet jam in cakes :)

I then covered the entire cake in buttercream and left it to chill for a little while before icing it. Previous to this I covered the cake board in green fondant and let it harden overnight so that it looks more like grass.


I then covered the cake in pink fondant and added my little peppa pig figures I had made during the week. I am making another peppa pig cake in a week so I will show you how I made the figures this week and all the picnic food and blanket.


I find it easier to make the figures and food etc to go on the cake in the evenings so that all I have to do when the cake is iced is stick them on with some edible glue. I then added some flowers I made earlier and some buttercream grass using my grass nozzle mentioned in a previous post. Then iced the message on.


The finished cake! I loved making this peppa cake and am doing another one in a weeks time for a little girl's 2nd birthday and can't wait to get started!
 
Until then happy baking!



2 comments:

  1. Awww Peppa Pig looks so cute on the cake..This is lovely...Well done..xx

    ReplyDelete